Of course we have all heard through the years how wonderful French art truly is. Paris is known as the epicenter of art and culture. Beyond the masterpieces within the Louvre, what is it about French art that makes it so amazing? Is there something that makes it stand out above the rest? Yes there are real reasons that French art is so amazing. Here are some of them.
- French art has existed since the dawn of man. I do not mean that in a funny sense. I am completely serious about this. French art has been around as long as humans have been around. The paintings of Lascaux is only one example of the prehistoric French art that is all over France.
- The École des Beaux-Arts changed the world. While there have been artistic salons around the world for century, there have not been any formal schools that were well-known prior to the establishment of the École des Beaux-Arts in the 19th This set a place where aspiring artists could go to refine their craft and improve their artistic abilities.
- François I changed a few things. When François I became the King of France in the 16th century, he was unprepared for the role in many ways, but part of it had to do with his love and study of Italian art. It was because of him that Leonardo da Vinci moved to France in the first place. It was he that received da Vinci’s Mona Lisa after the artist died and it made its home in the Louvre, where it is still on display today. François’s love of art as well as his devotion to the Mona Lisa created a lasting impression on art as we know it today.
- The French have been open to it. On a cultural level, the French have been far more accepting of art than other countries around the world. That is why so many artists have flocked to France over the centuries, creating little pockets were artists were able to express themselves and expand their ideas and abilities. It is this culture that has shaped how the world views art on the whole, leaving an indent in the world.
- France as the museums. I do not mean that France as all of the museums in the world, that would just be silly. I do not even mean that they have all of the great museums of the world. What I mean is that France seems to have a higher concentration of fantastic museums than you can find anywhere else in the world. You can walk into any French museum and see something completely breathtaking that is right out of a history book. There is just a higher concentration of great museums in France, ensuring you that you will never be disappointed.
- There is no judgment. France was the birthplace for many different artistic movements, many of which happened within the past two centuries alone. There was this strange and amazing shift in French art that allowed for new forms of art to appear, including the works of the great Pablo Picasso. Picasso’s art would
not have been as successful if he had stayed in Spain. Moving to France allowed him to explore new adventures of expression.
- The environment makes it more amazing. Because of all of the amazing French architecture and scenery, when you look at art in France, you feel the environment with it. The history rests within the walls of the buildings as well as within the art itself, giving you a sense you would not have had before.